Dec 1, 2009

Reflections on Jewelry photography

I had a jewelry shoot yesterday and I was quite pleased with the results. With jewelry you never know what kinds of materials you're going to be working with; shiny, opaque, transparent, or any combination of those in the same piece.

Aside from making the piece look good, communicating both the design and function are the priorities.

Working with such small subjects is a test of my patience, as well as the amount of 'styling' involved. Food is worse though.

A good macro lens is critical for getting as close to the subject as you'll need to be. The trade off of course is going to be your depth of field. I was using my Speedotron strobes to get enough exposure to use f22 and still having to work very cautiously with focus.

Patience is a requirement. 30 pieces took me 5 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment